As a girl with frizzy, curly, thick, unruly hair, sweating it out at the gym in style isn’t always easy. I spend 25% of a workout fixing my hair, 25% hoping my hair won’t break free of the elastic band, 25% planning when I should do my next hair adjustment, and 25% actually focused on burning some calories. It is a constant struggle to say the least, I decided it was time to give my go-to trusty ponytail a much-needed facelift. We teamed up with Serge Normat for John Frieda stylist Amanda Scott to come up with three perfect hairstyles that will hold up during some burpees. I sampled each of the looks during an hour long dance class and my hair looked just as good leaving as it did coming in. End result – the plainjane ponytail is so five years ago!!
The first hairstyle is perfect for the every day gym to streetwear look. It works for any hair type and will get you noticed by every one in the gym. The look features 2 french braids, hair wrapped around the pony tail, and the rest of the hair left loose. Double the braids, double the fun, right?
The second look is for people who struggle with bangs and short layers falling in their face. The front of the hairline is braided back so that you don’t spend your workout blowing hairs out of your face and the look is finished off with wrapping the braid around the elastic. (expert tip – pull the braid out to get that added thick texture and lift). There is nothing basic about this ponytail!
The third look is is a great way to get rid of those pesky baby hairs glued to your neck. We love this quick, low-maintenance option that looks like you spent hours on your hairstyle (reality – minutes). In this style your hair is secured in a picture-perfect ballerina bun that will make you want to walk on your tip-toes all day long.
To Good Hair Days,
Your most versatile 12$ kitchen ingredient is not just a cooking staple, coconut oil has become the moment’s most fawned over natural beauty item. You can purchase it at any health food store (just be sure to to get raw, organic, virgin coconut oil). Personally I use it as my face and body moisturizer, hair mask, and as a makeup remover. It’s an amazing all-purpose product – I literally use it from head to toe! This post is focussed on how to use it to enhance your natural beauty and get you glowing! Hopefully after reading it you will be just as COCO for coconut oil as I am (pun intended).
- Fights frizz – This is one of the most popular beauty uses of coconut oil. Thanks to its rich fatty acids and proteins, the natural oils repel water and prevent frizz. I use a penny size of it on my hair during those dreadful super humid days in the city!
- Hair conditioning – It works wonders for dry, damaged, overly-styled, or can’t-get-the-tangle-out hair. Rub some oil throughout your hair, leave it on in the shower for a few minutes, rinse it off, and WOILA gorgeous silky hair!
- For your skin – Slather it on because coconut oil is full of vitamin E, which encourages the growth and repair of our skin cells, protecting against aging and cracking of the skin. In addition to moisturizing your skin, coconut oil is a natural antibacterial and anti fungal.
Products I recommend:
- KOPARI – I love that Sephora carries a sample box of this line – I was able to try everything before committing to one product! My favorite item was the coconut body glow. It gave my skin a light shimmer glow that had me walking down the streets like it was a Milan runway.
- Yes to coconut – This ultra light spray body lotion is my go to product (especially in the dry heat of summer). I love the hydration my skin has after just a few squirts of this lotion. Plus, the products in this line are well priced.
- Shea Moisture – Coconut & hibiscus curl & shine shampoo and conditioner set is my favorite haircare product for myself and my son (he has super curly hair – almost afro like 🙂 The smell is so lovely and it makes my hair soft and silky, and allows me to brush out his knots easily without a tear spilled.
- Shea Moisture – Coconut & hibiscus dead sea bath salts – I use this after a tough work out when my muscles need some TLC. This product not only soothes my muscles, but it softens and nourishes my skin as well.
- Earthtuface – Coconut body butter – This total body butter will recharge nourish and hydrate your body. It contains organic virgin coconut oil, unrefined cocoa butter, cardamom, cinnamon and sunflower derived Vitamin E.
- Coconut Oil – Good old coconut oil – I love to just use the oil to remove my makeup, a few squirts in my bath to moisturize my skin, and on my cuticles to strengthen them in-between manicures.
How do you incorporate coconut oil into your daily routine? Share your thoughts, comments, and go to uses for coconut oil and we will feature you on the blog!
To clean living,
Savor spa is our go-to oasis in New York City. With two locations on the UWS and in the west village, it’s our favorite place to sneak away to when R&R is desperately needed, far away from the hustle and bustle of New York City. Combining holistic, anti-aging treatments with top-of-the-line products, Savor provides clients with a healthy new way to approach beauty. If you are in the area and looking for a beauty boost, we suggest you stop by! Your skin will thank us!
A bit about the owner – “I grew up watching my mom and aunts care for their skin like expensive silk using an extensive layering ritual with exotic ingredients. Savor Beauty has taken those same layering principles to create #1MinuteRituals for Western Beauties using luxurious skin-nourishing ingredients like Champagne, Caviar and Truffles.” – Savor Beauty founder, Angela Jia Kim.
The products are locally produced in the Hudson Valley by women they hire through the Dollars & Scents program.
- We tried the Vitamin C glow facial – It is a classic facial with acupressure massage. Purify, exfoliate, renew, hydrate, and repair for gorgeous glow. Extractions included with all 60-minute treatments. This is our go to once a month – we left glowing and fresh faced!
- The champagne couture facial – This anti-aging facial restores skin’s radiance while erasing fine lines. Champagne super-antioxidants, Diamond Microdermabrasion, and a fruit enzyme peel sculpt the face for a youthful appearance. When preparing for an event we always book a treatment to look our best.
- The fresh face fix – Think you don’t have time for self care? You are just 15 minutes away from getting gorgeous on-the-glow with this express facial! This was amazing because we popped in and were back on the street 15 minutes later ready to conquer the day.
- Post Facial – One word – ZEN! After the facial the esthetician escorted us to the front and filled out a card with her recommendations for skincare products. She walked us through each product and put together a couple of samples for us to try out. We left so relaxed and with skin already looking clear, bright, and glowing.
- All of their products are organic, natural and infused with essential oils. Along with the skin care products, the store also carries a few different organic makeup lines and some cute accessories.
- Health-conscious in everything they do, the Savor team makes Om Aroma products that are organic and free of chemical fillers, parabens, formaldehyde, and synthetic fragrances and dyes.
We tried everything from their line and put together a list of our favorite products-
To clean living,
Jessica, Rachel, & Ariella